An account, a miracle
Arshad Aslam Attari Madani
What is a Mu’jizah (miracle)?
Upon their return from the meal, grandfather had the children and the driver read the Du’a of travel when sitting in the car. Grandfather was speaking with the children, when all of a sudden, the mobile began to ring. After giving Salam, grandfather had a short conversation, and then bid farewell and ended the call.
Khubayb said, ‘Dear grandfather! You just mentioned the word ‘Mu’jizah’ while on the phone; what is a Mu’jizah?’ Hearing this, grandfather began to smile and said, ‘Beloved Khubayb! Shall I only inform you, or do Suhayb and Umm-e-Habibah wish to learn about a Mu’jizah also?’ Hearing this, all three siblings collectively said, ‘Dear grandfather! Inform all of us.’
Grandfather defined Mu’jizah in the following way, ‘It is for a prophet to manifest such a thing that is impossible in normal circumstances, after the announcement of prophethood. Like bringing the dead to life, splitting the moon into two pieces, etc. A Mu’jizah is a proof of a prophet’s prophethood; a Mu’jizah differentiates between a true prophet and a false one.’
Grandfather paused, took a deep breath and then said, ‘Remember children! Nobody can make a false claim to prophethood and then display a Mu’jizah.’
As soon as grandfather fell silent, Umm-e-Habibah immediately said, ‘Were all prophets given the same Mu’jizah?’ ‘No, daughter,’ said grandfather as he shook his head in the negative. ‘Allah Almighty granted each prophet miracles in accordance to the situation of that particular time. For example:
1. In the time of Sayyiduna Musa عَـلَيْـهِ الـسَّـلَام, the tricks of magicians were prevalent, thus Allah Almighty granted him miracles in accordance to that, like: 1. He عَـلَيْـهِ الـسَّـلَام could make his hand glow whenever he عَـلَيْـهِ الـسَّـلَام wished. 2. He عَـلَيْـهِ الـسَّـلَام also had a staff, and when he عَـلَيْـهِ الـسَّـلَام would throw it on the ground, it would sometimes become a snake, and sometimes a huge python. Besides this, the staff would sometimes become a rope, and sometimes a shade-giving tree.
2. During the age of Sayyiduna ‘Eisa عَـلَيْـهِ الـسَّـلَام, there were some diseases which the doctors had failed to treat. Thus, Allah Almighty granted Sayyiduna ‘Eisa عَـلَيْـهِ الـسَّـلَام the miracles of giving sight to the blind, granting health to those who had incurable illnesses, and the ability to give life to the dead.’
Continuing the conversation, grandfather said, ‘Dear children! A great scholar of the religion, Mufti Ahmad Yar Khan Na’eemi رَحْمَةُ الـلّٰـهِ عَلَيْه states that, ‘A Mu’jizah is of three types:
1. A permanent Mu’jizah; like the fragrant perspiration of our Beloved Prophet صَلَّى الـلّٰـهُ عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم.
2. A temporary voluntary Mu’jizah, i.e. to voluntarily manifest a Mu’jizah for a limited amount of time; like the staff becoming a python.
3. A temporary involuntary Mu’jizah, i.e. to involuntary manifest a Mu’jizah for a limited amount of time; like the revelation of the verses of the Quran.
Breaking his silence, Suhayb said to his grandfather, ‘How many miracles was our Beloved Prophet صَلَّى الـلّٰـهُ عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم granted?’ Grandfather encouragingly said to Suhayb, ‘Suhayb! I knew you were going to ask a question; مَاشَــآءَالـلّٰـه, you have asked a brilliant question.’
‘Dear children! You are all aware that our Beloved Prophet صَلَّى الـلّٰـهُ عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم is the most superior and loftiest from among the prophets. Allah Almighty granted him all of the miracles of the previous prophets, and granted him many miracles that were not granted to any prophet or messenger before him. The greatest miracle of our Beloved Prophet صَلَّى الـلّٰـهُ عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم is the Glorious Quran, because the other miracles took place at a specific time and were only witnessed by the people of that time. However, the Quran is such miracle that will endure until the Day of Judgement.’
Just before they arrived home, grandfather said, ‘I trust that you have learnt the fundamentals of a Mu’jizah. Now, I wish to tell you about a miracle of our Beloved Prophet صَلَّى الـلّٰـهُ عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم every Friday; what are your thoughts on this?’
Hearing this, Umm-e-Habibah, Suhayb and Khubayb became happy, and accepting the words of their grandfather, they said, ‘Of course! Of course!’ In the meantime, the car had arrived home.