الاستقامۃ فوق الکرامۃ
Steadfastness is greater than a saintly miracle
A tiny drop of constantly falling water pierces even the strongest of rocks. Tiny-looking ants cling to a piece of flesh many times larger than themselves, so the onlooker wonders how this tiny creature will take such a large piece away to its hole. But the persistence of this seemingly insignificant creature disproves this assumption.
When the perseverance of an inanimate object and a tiny living creature leads to success, can not the one who is given the title of ‘Ashraf-ul-Makhluqat’ (i.e. the best of the creation) adopt this attribute and achieve his goal?
Dear Islamic sisters! As Muslims, gaining the pleasure of Allah Almighty, receiving the intercession of the Merciful Prophet صَلَّى الـلّٰـهُ عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم and entering Paradise should be our first priority, and for all this, we must remain steadfast in doing good deeds and avoiding sins.
What is Steadfastness?
Steadfastness means durability, perpetuity, perseverance and to remain resolute upon something. ‘According to Shari’ah, steadfastness is adopting perpetuity upon the obedience of Allah Almighty.’
اَلْاِسْتِقَامَةُ فَوْقَ الْکَرَامَةِ: Meaning steadfastness is greater than a (saintly) miracle. The best of deeds is that which is permanent, even though it may be little, as our Beloved Prophet صَلَّى الـلّٰـهُ عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم said: ‘Adopt a habit of only doing as much as you can do of good deeds, for the best of deeds is that which is done consistently, even if it is little.’ (Ibn-e-Majah, vol. 4, p. 487, Hadees 4240) Sayyiduna Abu Ali Jawzjani رَحْمَةُ الـلّٰـهِ عَلَيْه says: ‘Adopt steadfastness, do not become seekers of (saintly) miracles! As your Nafs is seeking a (saintly) miracle, whereas your Lord seeks steadfastness from you.’ (Risalah Qushayriyyah, p.140)
Many Islamic sisters start performing an action but do not find steadfastness within it. They become lazy after a few days. Here are some points to help you remain steadfast:
* First of all, we need to consider the importance and virtues of the action that we want to make perpetual.
* It is also necessary to have a true intention and a firmness in your intention. It is impossible to find steadfastness in something unless there is a firm intention.
* Continue to study the accounts of steadfastness of the pious predecessors in the face of difficult calamites and worries.
* Adopt moderation in your actions as it is better to run slowly towards the destination than to run fast, get tired and give up.
* Refrain from the obstacles in the path of steadfastness, such as a bad company, impatience over difficulties and haste in acquiring results.
* Alongside adopting the means of gaining steadfastness, also keep on making Du’a to Allah Almighty. For example, یَامُقَلِّبَ الْقُلُوْبِ ثَبِّتْ قُلُوْبَنَا عَلٰی دِیْنِکَ meaning O Turner of the Hearts, make my heart firm on your religion.