What is obesity?
Is overeating the only cause of being overweight?
It is not necessary that obesity be caused by excessive eating. There could be other reasons for it too. Some experts say that there are hormones in the body that can cause obesity when they fall out of balance; a person’s eating, drinking and remaining seated all the time has no effect on this because there are some people who eat a lot but do not become overweight. Likewise, there are some people who limit the amount they eat but they still become overweight. Obesity can sometimes also be caused by illness or by the harmful effects of medicine.
One of the causes of obesity in childhood is lack of sleep. Therefore, putting children to sleep early is an easy way of reducing obesity. Researchers say that increasing the sleep of young children at night can control obesity.
Obesity and illnesses
Some of the illnesses which can be caused by obesity: Diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, uric acid, stroke, gallbladder stones, back and joint pain, etc.
There are many diseases which are caused by a lack of moderation in eating and drinking. Similarly, obesity is sometimes caused by showing a lack of care regarding one’s food. The following can cause obesity if consumed in excess:
* Ghee, oil and other fatty foods.(Derived from Malfūzāt-e-Ameer-e-Ahl-e-Sunnat, episode 7, p. 26)
* Cold drinks that contain sugar.(Fir’awn ka Khuwāb, p. 27, summarised)
* Buffalo milk.(Doodh Peetā Madanī Munnā, p. 43, summarised)
* Tea that contains milk.(Gharaylū ‘Ilāj, p. 75)
* Takeaway food.
* Eating whilst sitting cross legged.
(Derived from Malfūzāt-e-Ameer-e-Ahl-e-Sunnat, episode 7, p. 26)
Four home remedies for obesity
* Vegetables (other than potatoes, etc.) are a great way of reducing one’s weight. But they should only be boiled in water or if it is required for one individual then one spoon of corn oil can be added to cook them. There is no harm in adding spices, masala or turmeric, etc. (Gharaylū ‘Ilāj, pp. 25)
* Make it a habit to eat three figs everyday as fig shrinks a fat belly and reduces obesity. (Derived from Malfūzāt-e-Ameer-e-Ahl-e-Sunnat, episode 7, pp. 26-27)
* It is better if a spoon of honey is added to some lukewarm water and drank on an empty stomach, or if one is fasting then at the time of breaking the fast. This should be done continuously, without missing a day. One will be protected from obesity and many other diseases, اِنْ شَــآءَالـلّٰـه. (Derived from Faizān-e-Sunnat, vol. 1, p. 722)
* Drinking warm water that is mixed with a spoon of honey and drinking a glass of warm water in which some lemon juice has been added on an empty stomach will decrease body fat.
The best cure for obesity
The best cure is the one given by the Beloved of Allah صَلَّى اللّٰـە عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم which is that the hunger should be divided into three parts: One part for food, one for drink and one for air. (Kanz al-‘Ummāl, part 15, vol. 8, p. 110, Hadees no. 40813; Gharaylū ‘Ilāj, pp. 25)
Different ways to save oneself from obesity
Just as eating and drinking causes an increase and decrease in weight, there are some other things which can cause a reduction in weight. Here are a few:
* Fasting causes a decrease in weight. (Sirāt-ul-Jinān, vol. 1, p. 293)
* Eating slowly and eating smaller morsels reduces the risk of being overweight.
* Those who walk are not afflicted with obesity. (Sadā-e-Madīnah, p. 17)
Note: The poor individual who is afflicted by this disease should not be laughed at, mocked nor should his feelings be hurt without a Shari reason - this is Harām and leads one to the fire of Hell. (Faizān-e-Sunnat, vol. 1, pp. 711)
(The medical advice given in this article has been verified by Doctor Kamrān Ishāq Attārī and Herbalist Rizwān Firdaws Attārī of the Department of Medical Treatment (Da’wat-e-Islami).)