The Beloved Rasool صَلَّی اللہُ تَعَالٰی عَلَیْہِ وَاٰلِہٖ وَسَلَّمَ said, ‘When a man or woman suffers from a persistent fever or a headache and has sins similar to Uhud mountain, so when that disease separates from him, he does not have sins even equal to the size of a mustard seed.’ (Attargheeb Wattarheeb, vol. 4, pp. 151, Hadees 67)
When Sayyiduna Fath [فَتح] Mawsili رَحْمَۃُ اللہِ تَعَالٰی عَلَیْہِ suffered from a headache, he said happily, ‘Allah عَزَّوَجَلَّ has blessed me with the disease from which blessed Ambiya عَلَيْهِمُ الصَّلٰوةُ وَالسَّلَام would suffer. Now as a sign of thankfulness I should offer 400 Rak’aat Nafl.’ (Siyar A’laam-un-Nubala, vol. 10, pp. 784)
Types of headache
There are many types of headache:
1. Migraine (severe pain in one half of the head) is the most known amongst all the types.
2. Pain in the whole head.
3. Cluster headache.
It is also called half head pain. It is very severe and even affects the whole body. It starts from eyes and reaches the back side of the head. Mostly it starts from the age of 18 and 19 and lasts up to the age of 40. As compared to men, mostly women suffer from it; sometimes children also suffer from it. It increases due to intense anger, long journey and eating sour food items as well; similarly, areas with strong light and noisy places are also the causes of its increase, whereas, the pain of migraine decreases in the dark and quiet atmosphere. Lack of sleep and getting busy in the futile activities till late nights also trigger migraine.
Hours of sleep
Remember! Lack of sleep is a big cause of headache so small children need 12 to 15 hours sleep; people having age bracket 15 to 40 need 7 to 8 hours sleep whereas the people over the age of 40 need 6 hours sleep. (Mahnamah Faizan-e-Madinah, Jumadal Aula 1438 Hijri / February 2017, pp. 18)
2. The headache which affects the whole head
Those people who normally use computer, video games and such kinds of gadgets suffer this type of headache.
3. Cluster headache
Cluster headache is a series of painful headaches. It occurs at one side of the head near the eye, and this pain is very intense. Sometimes due to the intensity of headache, eyes become red and water also flows from the eyes and nose.
Real cause of headache
In the light of medical study, increased intracerebral pressure is one of the reasons for headache.
Following are some more reasons for headache
Work overload; futile debate and arguments; tension and anxiety; lack of sleep; increase and decrease in blood pressure; playing videogame; getting too exhausted; work stress; digestive disorder; constipation; dehydration; noise pollution, quarrelling; giddiness; weak eyesight; air pollution; having allergy to the smoke of cigarette and smell of gas etc., in a closed room; neck strain; vomiting, infrequent toothache; drinking alcohol; having low sugar level; ‘eating cold and sour food items resulting in flu and phlegm build-up is also a cause of headache’; watching TV for a long time; working on laptop, computer and using mobiles phones for a long time and staring at screen especially in the darkness lead to affect eyesight and are also the big causes of headache. Sometimes eating less than one’s need also causes a headache.
Some people tie a strip around their head when they suffer from headache; similarly, women tie Dupatta around their head. They probably assume that this act will comfort them but it is harmful to them because it badly affects the flow of blood causing oxygen not reaching properly which may lead to any serious health matter so people should avoid tying strip around their head.
Four domestic cures for headache
1. Take dry ginger (it can be bought from the herb merchants), rub it in a little water, apply the rubbed part of it on your forehead. اِنْ شَآءَاللہ, it will give you relief from migraine.
2. Take some coriander seed and raisins, keep them into cold water (obtained from the earthen pot) or normal water for few hours and drink it; it is a very useful remedy for headache.
3. Drinking coconut water relieves ache of half and entire head as well. (Faizan-e-Sunnat, vol. 1, pp. 70)
4. Put one spoon of sugar and seeds of two black cardamoms in your mouth and chew it well and suck its pulp. اِنْ شَآءَاللہ, you will get rid of severe headache, and it will be cured completely.
Three spiritual cures
1. For migraine, recite ‘Surah Al-Ikhlas’ once (with Salat once before and after) and make Dam (blow); it can be acted upon 3 times, 7 times or 11 times in the same way as per need. اِنْ شَآءَاللہ, one will get relief from migraine even before the completion of its recitation 11 times.
2. Recite ‘Surah An-Naas’ 7 times (with Salat once before and after) and make Dam on the head of the person suffering from headache; then ask him if he feels better. If he still suffers from it, make Dam again in the same way; if he still suffers, repeat this for the third time. Regardless of the severity of the pain of the whole head or half head, it will be relieved before the Dam is made for the third time, اِنْ شَآءَاللہ. (Faizan-e-Sunnat, vol. 1, pp. 70, 71)
4. لَّا یُصَدَّعُوْنَ عَنْهَا وَ لَا یُنْزِفُوْنَۙ(۱۹): Translation from Kanz-ul-Iman: It will not cause headache, nor shall it affect their soberness (by causing intoxication). (Part 27, Surah Al-Waaqi’ah, Ayah 19) Recite this Ayah 3 times (with Salat once before and after) and blow on the head of the person suffering from headache. It will prove very useful, اِنْ شَآءَاللہ. (Gharaylu ‘Ilaj, pp. 49)
Medical advantage of wearing ‘Imamah
٭ As per the medical study, wearing ‘Imamah Shareef is very beneficial for the headache. (163 Madani Phool, pp. 27)
٭ Risk of headache will reduce immensely for the one who will wear ‘Imamah. (‘Imamah kay faza`il, pp. 383)
٭ Those Islamic brothers who do not wear ‘Imamah Shareef should wear it so that they not only attain the reward of acting upon the Sunnah but also avail medical advantage. May Allah عَزَّوَجَلَّ grant us Taufeeq (ability) to act upon this blessed Sunnah.
Advantage of using Miswak (twig)
The blessed scholars رَحِمہُم اللّٰہ تعالی have mentioned many advantages of using Miswak. One of the advantages of it is that it provides relief from the headache. (Tahtaawi ‘ala Maraqil Falah, pp. 69)
Blessed names of Ashab-e-Kahf
Sayyiduna Ibn ‘Abbas رَضِیَ اللہُ تَعَالٰی عَنْہُما said, ‘Writing the blessed names of Ashab-e-Kahf in a Ta’weez (Islamic amulets) and tying it around the right arm is very beneficial for the headache.’ (Saawi, part 15, Al-Kahf, Ayah 22, vol. 4, pp. 1191; summarised)
(Ta’weez for any type of headache and Awraad-o-Wazaaif (invocations) can be received free of charges from the stall of Ta’wizat ‘Attariyyah)
Last but not least
Different kinds of medicines are used for headache, fever etc., as first aid. Remember! Use medicines after having a meal. Taking medicine on an empty stomach can be harmful. If the headache is not relieved despite using medicines, get your eyes checked and do wear glasses if required because sometimes poor eyesight may cause a headache. Take your medications exactly as prescribed by your physician.
Dil mayn ger dard ho, ya kay sar dard ho, pao gey sehhatayn, Qafilay mayn chalo
Operation talayn aur shifa`ayn milayn, ker kay himmat chalayn, Qafilay mayn chalo