Timeless/ Splendid Teachings of Islam
Assist in Good
Hamid Siraaj ‘Attari Madani
The religion of Islam is a gracious favour of Allah Almighty. For the discerning person, even a few brief moments of deep reflection will reveal the superiority of this faith, chosen by Allah, over all others:
اِنَّ الدِّیْنَ عِنْدَ اللّٰهِ الْاِسْلَامُ۫-
‘Indeed, the only (true) religion according to Allah is Islam.’
[Kanz-ul-Iman (translation of Quran)] (Part 03, Surah Aal-e-Imraan, Verse 19)
The pure teachings of Islam and its timeless wisdom bear testimony to its truthfulness and aptness for human beings. From these teachings is the altruistic principle of ‘assisting others to do good:’
وَ تَعَاوَنُوْا عَلَى الْبِرِّ وَ التَّقْوٰى ۪-
‘And help one another in righteousness and piety.’
[Kanz-ul-Iman (translation of Quran)] (Part 06, Surah Al-Maa’idah, Verse 02)
Explaining this verse, the celebrated exegete Imam al-Qurtubi رَحْمَةُ الـلّٰـهِ عَلَيْه states that, ‘in this verse, there is a universal command for all of creation to assist one another in doing good works…[such as] the scholar helping people by means of his knowledge, the affluent helping through their wealth, the valiant in the path of Allah عَزَّوَجَلَّ by means of their bravery,’ (Tafseer Qurtubi, vol. 3, p. 1648, Surah Al-Maa’idah, verse 02).
Mufti Ahmad Yar Khan رَحْمَةُ الـلّٰـهِ عَلَيْه writes:
‘Help’(Ta’awun) means to assist each other in some form; assistance in general, financial assistance, verbal assistance, assistance by means of bodily limbs, or providing whatever kind of assistance as per the need and one’s capabilities. ‘Goodness, (birr) refers to all types of righteous acts, (Tafseer Na’eemi, vol. 6, p. 174).
There are many forms of assisting others in good works, including:
* Teaching someone to read the Quran. The Beloved Messenger of Allah صَلَّى الـلّٰـهُ عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم stated: ‘The best among you is the one who learns the Quran and then teaches it to others,’ (Bukhari, vol. 3, p. 410, Hadith 5027).
* Lending a book of sacred knowledge to someone - اِنْ شَــآءَالـلّٰـه you will reap the rewards of the knowledge they gain and practice.
* Offering a lift to a student of sacred knowledge.
* Helping students of knowledge by providing academic support such as tuition, revision sessions, or sharing notes with them.
* Funding the publication of Islamic books authored by our scholars who may be unable to fund the project through independent means.
* When people ask for book recommendations, direct them to titles by Sunni scholars and point them to a relevant resource such as Dawat-e-Islami’s website where quality Islamic books can be accessed without charge.
* Donating Islamic books that you are not reading any longer.
* Organising mass dissemination of Islamic books. Dawat-e-Islami has a dedicated department for this service and can assist you by distributing Islamic books at the mausoleums of saints, at large religious gatherings, in scholarly circles, etc. If you too want to have books distributed for the Isal-e-Sawab of your loved ones, by means of this department, then contact this number: +923225622521.
* If someone you know wants to offer Salah but there is no one at his shop to protect his shop or products, and you have already offered your Salah, then stay to protect his shop whilst he goes to pray Salah.
* Travelling in the path of Allah Almighty, on a Madani Qafilah, is also a great act of righteousness, and assisting someone in this act is also a righteousness act. There is a beautiful Hadith regarding assisting each other in righteous acts: Sayyiduna Abu Sa’eed Khudri رَضِىَ الـلّٰـهُ عَـنْهُ states that ‘We were on a journey with the Beloved Prophet صَلَّى الـلّٰـهُ عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم. An individual came and started looking left and right. The honourable Prophet صَلَّى الـلّٰـهُ عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم said: ‘Whoever has an extra ride, should help the one who has no ride. And, whoever has extra items for the journey, should assist the one who has no items for the journey,’ (Muslim, p. 737, Hadith 4517).
If you are unable to join a Madani Qafilah, or you can’t participate in the I’tikaf, contact ‘Dar-us-Sunnah’ in the institutions of Dawat-e-Islami where you can support someone who is travelling on the Madani Qafilah.
* Contributing to the upkeep of the masjid.
* Supporting worshippers in the masjid by arranging fans, lighting, and heating for them.
* Supporting masjids or madrasahs that are short of warm water or carpets in the winter.
* Helping out with local clean-ups. Cleanliness has been declared half of faith, in the hadith, (Muslim, p. 115, Hadith 534).
We should also assist others on social welfare projects. For this, اَلْـحَمْـدُ لـِلّٰـه Dawat-e-Islami’s department Faizan Global Relief Foundation (FGRF) is active. You can also get a share in many righteous acts by supporting this department.
May Allah Almighty grant us the ability to help others in righteous acts by acting upon Islamic teachings. اٰمین
 See www.dawateislami.net