The Prophet Elect
Messenger of the entire creation
Kashif Shahzad Attari
Allah Almighty granted such abundant merits to the Beloved Prophet صَلَّى الـلّٰـهُ عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم which He did not grant to any other prophet or messenger. One exclusive merit from among these is that he صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم was sent as a messenger to all of creation, i.e. humans, Jinn, and angels, in fact, even to the animals and non-living things alike. Whereas, the other Noble Prophets عَـلَـيْـهِمُ الـصَّلٰوةُ وَالـسَّـلَام were sent to a specific group of people.
O devotees of the Prophet! This excellence and greatness of the Noble Prophet صَلَّى الـلّٰـهُ عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم is established through many Quranic verses and hadith. For the purpose of gaining blessings, read a few proofs below:
3 Quranic verses:
وَ مَاۤ اَرْسَلْنٰكَ اِلَّا كَآفَّةً لِّلنَّاسِ بَشِیْرًا وَّ نَذِیْرًا
And O Beloved, We have not sent you except with such Messengership that encompasses the entirety of mankind, as a conveyor of glad tidings and warning.
[Kanz-ul-Iman (translation of Quran)] (Part 22, Surah Saba, verse 28)
قُلْ یٰۤاَیُّهَا النَّاسُ اِنِّیْ رَسُوْلُ اللّٰهِ اِلَیْكُمْ جَمِیْعَاﰳ
Say you (O Beloved), 'O people! I am the Messenger of that Allah towards you all.
[Kanz-ul-Iman (translation of Quran)] (Part 9, Surah Al-A’raf, verse 158)
تَبٰرَكَ الَّذِیْ نَزَّلَ الْفُرْقَانَ عَلٰى عَبْدِهٖ لِیَكُوْنَ لِلْعٰلَمِیْنَ نَذِیْرَ ﰳاۙ (۱)
Most Blessed is He Who has sent down the Qur’an upon His (chosen) bondsman who may be a warner to the entire world.
[Kanz-ul-Iman (translation of Quran)] (Part 18, Surah Al-Furqan, verse 1)
The commentaries of 2 pious predecessors on the third verse are presented here:
1. The commentator of Bukhari, Imam Ahmad bin Muhammad Qastalani رَحْمَةُ الـلّٰـهِ عَـلَيْـه:
In this blessed verse, ‘bondsman’ refers to Sayyiduna Muhammad صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم, and ‘Aalam (universe)’ refers to everything besides Allah Almighty (i.e. all of creation). This verse includes all Mukallifeen (those who are bound by the rulings of Shari’ah), and this establishes that the Beloved Prophet صَلَّى الـلّٰـهُ عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم is a Messenger for the whole of creation.
2. Sadr al-Afadil, Syed Na’eem al-Din Muradabadi رَحْمَةُ الـلّٰـهِ عَـلَيْـه:
This contains mention of the Beloved Prophet’s universal Messengership, meaning, he صَلَّى الـلّٰـهُ عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم was sent as a Messenger to all of creation. Whether it is Jinn, humans, angels or any other creation, they are all a part of his Ummah, for ‘Aalam refers to everything besides Allah Almighty, and they are all included in this. Not counting the angels in this is baseless.
Three statements of the Beloved Prophet صَلَّى الـلّٰـهُ عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم
1. مَامِنْ شَیْئٍ اِلَّا یَعْلَمُ اَنِّیْ رَسُوْلُ اللهِ اِلَّا کَفَرَۃَ الْجِنِّ وَالْاِنْسِ, meaning, ‘There is no such thing except that it knows that I am the Messenger of Allah, except the disbelieving Jinn and humans.’
This statement includes all of creation, even animals and lifeless things (stones, etc.), and their being aware that he صَلَّى الـلّٰـهُ عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم is the Messenger of Allah, and they have faith in this. However, despite having knowledge of him being the Messenger, the disbelieving Jinn and humans do not bring faith in him.
2. كَانَ كُلُّ نَبِيٍّ يُبْعَثُ اِلٰى قَوْمِهٖ خَاصَّةً وَبُعِثْتُ اِلىٰ كُلِّ اَحْمَرَ وَاَسْوَدَ, meaning, ‘Every Prophet was sent to his own nation; however, I was sent to every red and black.’
‘Red and black’ refers to the Arabs and non-Arabs, or to humans and Jinn.
3. اُرْسِلْتُ اِلَى الْخَلْقِ كَافَّةً, meaning, ‘I was sent to the entire creation (as a messenger).’
The statements of two commentators on the third Hadith:
1. Allamah Ali bin Sultan Qaari رَحْمَةُ الـلّٰـهِ عَـلَيْـه:
Meaning, I was sent (as a messenger) to everything in existence; whether it be Jinn, humans, angels, animals or non-living things.
2. The commentator of Bukhari, Sadr al-Ulama, Allamah Ghulam Jilani Meerthi رَحْمَةُ الـلّٰـهِ عَـلَيْـه:
Although the word خَلْق' (creation)’ already encompassed humans, Jinn, angels, and every other creation, the word كَافَّةً was added to make it known that the word خَلْق is for complete inclusivity, and no creation is excluded from this. However, the difference is that, according to consensus, him being sent as messenger to humans and Jinn, is Irsaal-e-Takleef, i.e. they are bound by the rulings of Shari’ah, and according to some scholars, this is also the case for the angels. However, the angels being legally responsible (Mukallaf) is not like that of humans and Jinn, rather, they are responsible for such rulings which are appropriate for their states. According to some scholars, his being sent to the angels is Irsaal-e-Tashreef, i.e. by him being the Messenger, they are granted the honour of being from his Ummah. Apart from the humans, Jinn and angels, his Irsaal (being sent as a Messenger) is an Irsaal of honour and mercy.
Dear Islamic brothers! The Final Prophet of Allah صَلَّى الـلّٰـهُ عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم is a Messenger for all of creation, including humans, Jinn and angels, and this has been mentioned by many scholars. For the sake of brevity, the statements of two scholars are mentioned:
1. Imam Ahmad bin Hajar Makki Haytami Shaafi’i رَحْمَةُ الـلّٰـهِ عَـلَيْـه writes: “The Beloved Prophet صَلَّى الـلّٰـهُ عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم is a Messenger for the angels too (asides from humans and Jinn).” Imam Taqi al-Din Subki رَحْمَةُ الـلّٰـهِ عَـلَيْـه gave preference to this opinion and further wrote: “He صَلَّى الـلّٰـهُ عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم is also the Messenger of all prophets and previous nations. The statement of the Beloved Prophet صَلَّى الـلّٰـهُ عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم: بُعِثْتُ اِلَی النَّاسِ کَافَّةً, i.e., ‘I was sent to all people,’ includes all individuals from the time of Sayyiduna Adam عَـلَيْـهِ الـسَّـلاَم until the Day of Judgement.” Imam Baarzi رَحْمَةُ الـلّٰـهِ عَـلَيْـه also gave preference to this opinion and added that the Beloved Prophet صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم is the Messenger of all animals and non-living things too. He took proof for this from the fact that a monitor lizard, trees and stones testified that he صَلَّى الـلّٰـهُ عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم is the Messenger.
2. Imam of Ahl Al-Sunnat, Imam Ahmad Raza Khan رَحْمَةُ الـلّٰـهِ عَـلَيْـه states: “The previous prophets were only messengers of their respective nations, and our Messenger is a messenger for every member of creation.”
In another place, he writes: “The scholars state: ‘Him being sent as a Messenger to Jinn and humans is agreed upon, and according to the researchers, the angels are also included in this,’ کَمَاحَقَّقْنَاہُ بِتَوْفِیْقِ اللهِ تَعَالٰی فِیْ رِسَالَةِ ’’اِجْلَال ُ جِبْرِیْل (just as we proved in our booklet اِجْلَال ُجِبْرِیْلَ بِجَعْلِهٖ خَادِماً لِلْمَحْبُوْبِ الْجَمِیْل, with the ability bestowed by Allah Almighty). In fact, the research proves that the stones, the trees, the earth, the skies, the mountains, the oceans, and everything besides Allah Almighty are all included in this all-encompassing boundary and complete circle.”
 Al Yawaqeet Wal-Jawahir, p. 282, Bahar-e-Shari’at, vol. 1, p. 61
 Mawahib Al-Ladunniyyah, vol. 2, p. 284
 Khaza’in Al-Irfan
 Jaami’ Sagheer, p. 492, Hadees. 8049
 Al- Tanveer, Vol. 9, p. 477, Al-Siraaj Al-Muneer, Vol. 4, p. 216
 Muslim, p. 210, Hadees. 1163
 Naseem Al-Riyad, Vol. 1, p. 466
 Muslim, p. 210, Hadees. 1167
 Mirqat ul Mafatih, Vol. 10, p. 14, Hadees. 5748
 Basheer Al- Qaari, p. 125
 A desert animal similar to a lizard, which has two tongues, burrows into the ground
 Fatawa Hadeesiya, p. 283
 Fatawa Razawiyyah, Vol. 30, P. 142
 Fatawa Razawiyyah, Vol. 30, P. 145