کَثْرَ ۃُ الْاَسْمَاءِ تَدُلُّ عَلیٰ شَرَفِ الْمُسَمَّیٰ : ‘many names of anything indicates its greatness and glory. Like الاَسْمَاءُ الْحُسْنٰی (i.e. the blessed names of Allah Almighty) and اَسْمَاء ُالنَّبِی, (i.e. the blessed names of the Holy Prophet صَلَّى اللّٰهُ عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم), similarly, there are many beautiful names of the Holy Quran, mentioned in the glorious Quran and Ahadees. However, there are different opinions about the number of the names of the Holy Quran. Some sources give 32 names while some present 55. Apart from the given figures, over 90 names have also been mentioned.
Following are 40 beautiful names mentioned along with the reasons of naming them:
1. کِتاب: One of its meanings is to accumulate, as all the [fields of] ‘knowledge of the beginning time’ to ‘the knowledge of the end time’ are accumulated in the Holy Quran.
2. قُرْاٰن: One of the meanings of the glorious Quran is something that is read, as this book has been sent down, being read i.e. Jibraeel Ameen عَـلَيْـهِ الـسَّـلَام would arrive and read it out.
3. فُرْقان: It means something that differentiates, as the Holy Quran differentiates between what is right and what is wrong.
4. ذِکْر, (5) ذِکْریٰ, (6) تَذْکِرہ: To remind, as the Holy Quran reminds about Allah Almighty and His bounties.
7. تَنْزِیْل: It means descending gradually, i.e. descending little by little, as this book has been descended in the very manner from the Almighty.
8. حَدِیث: One of its meanings is ‘new object’ as Quran arrived in this world after other Heavenly books and scriptures, so it is new.
9. مَوعِظَۃ: It means ‘advice’. This glorious book gives advice to all.
10. حُکْم, (11) حَکیم, (12) مُحکَم, and (13) حِکْمَت: These beautiful names have a common meaning, strong. This book is strong enough that nobody can make amendment in it.
14. شِفا: This book ‘heals’ the apparent and spiritual diseases.
15. ھُدٰی, (16) ھَادِی: ‘To guide’. The glorious Quran guides people to the straight path.
17. صِراطِ مُسْتَقیم: It means the right path. The one following this (book) can reach one’s destination easily like the one walking the straight path reaches one’s destination.
18. حَبْل: This means ‘rope’, as people reach Allah Almighty through it [Glorious Quran].
19. رَحْمَت: This is ‘the book of knowledge’ and the knowledge is the mercy [Rahmat] of Allah عَزَّوَجَلَّ.
20. رُوح: This book was brought by Sayyiduna Jibraeel Ameen عَـلَيْـهِ الـسَّـلَام and the blessed title of Sayyiduna Jibraeel Ameen عَـلَيْـهِ الـسَّـلَام is Ruh-ul-Ameen.
21. قَصَص: It means parables as the Holy Quran describes true parables of the holy Prophets عَـلَـيْهِمُ السَّلَام and different nations.
22. بَیان, (23) تِبْیان, and (24) مُبین: ‘To reveal’, as the glorious Quran reveals all Shar’i rulings and all knowledge of unseen to the Beloved Prophet صَلَّى اللّٰهُ عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم.
25. بَصائِر: It is the plural of Baseerat [insight]. Baseerat means ‘the light of heart’, as [reciting] this book brings Noor [light] in the hearts.
26. فَصْل: One of its meanings is ‘to make a decision’, as this book makes a decision on quarrels among people.
27. نُجوم: It is the plural of Najm, which is called ‘a star’ because the verses of the holy Quran guide people like stars.
28. مَثانِی: It means ‘again and again’, as rulings and parables have been repeated in the glorious Quran.
29. نِعْمَت: It is because the Holy Quran is a great ‘blessing’ of Allah Almighty for Muslims.
30. بُرْھان: It means ‘evidence’. This book is the evidence of the fact that Allah Almighty and all blessed Prophets عَـلَـيْـهِمُ الـصَّلٰوةُ وَالـسَّـلَام are true.
31. قَیِّم: It is called the one that remains existing, as the Holy Quran will remain existing and the religion will also remain existing through it [glorious Quran].
32. بَشیر and (33) نَذیر: Because this great book not only gives glad tidings but it also warns.
34. مُھَیمِن: ‘Guardian’, ‘Preserver’. The sacred book guards Muslims in the world and Hereafter.
35. نُور: It is called something that not only ‘discloses’ itself but also others, as the holy Quran is revealed manifest as well as it manifests the Divine rulings and the accounts of holy Prophets عَـلَـيْهِمُ السَّلَام.
36. حَق: It means ‘truth’, as the Holy Quran tells the truth and it has been descended upon the true Prophet صَلَّى اللّٰهُ عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم from the true Almighty.
37. عَزیز: ‘Mighty’ and ‘Unmatched’. The Holy Quran has remained dominant all. The glorious book, ‘Holy Quran’ is also unmatched.
38. کَریم: ‘Generous’. The Holy Quran gives knowledge, Iman [faith], and infinite reward.
39. عَظیم: It means great, as this is the greatest book.
40. مُبارَک: It means ‘With blessings’. The blessed act of reciting the glorious Quran and following it provides blessings in ‘Iman’ and brings ‘Noor’ on the face.
(Basair Zawi-it-Tamyeez fi Lataif-il-Kitab-il-Azeez, vol. 1, pp. 88, Al-Burhan fi ‘Uloom-il-Quran, vol. 1, pp. 343, Tafseer-e-Kabeer, vol. 1, pp. 260-265, Tafseer-e-‘Azeezi, pp. 103, Derived from Tafseer-e-Na’eemi, vol. 1, pp. 5, 6, 90, 91)