Last month, an article was published on ’cholesterol and its causes’, and now some foods which are good to control cholesterol are being mentioned below.
Foods that are good to control cholesterol
Use different fruits and vegetables as they do not contain cholesterol e.g.
* Okra is useful for reducing cholesterol level. (Mahnamah Faizan-e-Madinah, Jumadal Oola 1438 AH, pp. 36)
* Faalsah (grewia) controls blood pressure and cholesterol. (Garmi say Hifazat kay Madani Phool, pp. 18; summarised)
* Apples reduce cholesterol and prevent it from increasing. (Mahnamah Faizan-e-Madinah, Rabi’-ul-Aakhir, 1438, pp. 29) It also saves (a person) from obesity. The habit of eating an apple daily prevents accumulation of cholesterol in arteries.
* Fig is good for the patients having high blood pressure and high cholesterol. (Gharaylu ‘Ilaj, pp. 113; summarised)
* Using garlic daily in the morning is helpful in reducing cholesterol.
* Eating carrot daily maintains cholesterol level.
* Oranges control cholesterol. Drinking orange juice daily provides a great amount of vitamin C that controls the level of bad cholesterol in the body.
* Apricots are fruit that are rich in the ingredients which increase good cholesterol.
* Red grapes are also good to reduce cholesterol. It also protects from heart diseases. According to medical research, eating red grapes daily in an adequate amount for six weeks reduces bad cholesterol up to 14%.
* According to medical research, eating strawberries reduces cholesterol in the body up to 4 to 10 %.
* Almonds are cholesterol-free and reduce LDL cholesterol.(Bayta ho to aysa!, pp. 33, 34)
* Eating salad with meal is beneficial for high cholesterol patient.
* Use fibrous foods e.g. bananas, grapes, cherries etc., because they help blood absorb cholesterol and fat. Thus cholesterol level in blood remains normal.
* The use of different oils is also beneficial such as corn oil, sun flower oil and peanut oil. The use of olive oil without cooking is good because it also reduces cholesterol. (Gharaylu ‘Ilaj, pp. 53) According to medical research, olive oil is good for the patient having cholesterol problem as it removes extra bad cholesterol from blood. (Faizan-e-Sunnat, vol. 1, pp. 625; summarised)
* Use one table spoon of fat-free yogurt mixed with psyllium husk (isabgol) in the morning.
* Fasting maintains sugar level, cholesterol level, and blood pressure, thus removing the risk of heart attack. (Siraat-ul-Jinan, vol. 1, pp. 293)
* The patient should use six Mashas (a Masha is a traditional Indian unit of mass, now standardized as 0.972 grams) guggul (commiphora wightii) after mixing it with lukewarm water four times a day.
* Sattu is good for the patients having high cholesterol.
* The patient should use 500 mg dried ginger twice a day.
Benefits of fenugreek
According to medical research, using fenugreek seeds daily reduces cholesterol and triglycerides and also lowers the risk of heart diseases. (Maythi kay 50 Madani Phool, pp. 6; summarised)
Fish and cholesterol
Eating fish is also good for the people having high cholesterol, but the fish fried in oil is also harmful to health like other fried foods. Fish cooked on coals is very useful. If a person gets his blood tested with such fish in his stomach, the test will show reduction of cholesterol in the blood. (Gharaylu ‘Ilaj, pp. 34)
The use of fish oil protects from the initial blockages created in the blood vessels which harden the arteries, thus leading to the risk of a heart disease. Fish oil protects the walls of blood vessels from blockages and uneven surfaces because cholesterol accumulates in these places and blocks the flow of blood. (Machli kay ‘Ajaibaat, pp. 39)