13 Sunan and Manners of Sneezing
March 19,2018 - Published 3 years ago
Sneezing is an important part of our lives and its Sunan and manners have also been explained. However, majority of the Muslims these days, unfortunately, are unaware of this due to not being religiously educated. When they feel the need to sneeze, they just do it making loud noises and clean their nose afterwards. There is more to it than that. We should try to learn its Sunan and manners as well. Let’s learn a few of them today:
1. When you are about to sneeze, put your head down, cover your face and try to do it as quietly as possible. Sneezing loudly is a foolish act. Sayyiduna Ubada bin Samit, Shaddad bin Aus and Sayyiduna Wasila رَضِیَ اللہُ تَعَالٰی عَنْہُم report that the Holy Prophet صَلَّی اللہُ تَعَالٰی عَلَیْہِ وَاٰلِہٖ وَسَلَّمَ said: If one burps or sneezes, he should not do it loudly as Satan enjoys it when these are done loudly.
(Shu’ab -ul- Iman)
2. When you sneeze and say “الحمد للہ”, the angels will say “رب العٰلمین”. If you say “الحمد للہ رب العٰلمین”, the infallible angels will pray, “یرحمک اللہ” (May Allah have mercy on you!).
Sayyiduna Abdullah Ibn Abbas رَضِیَ اللہُ تَعَالٰی عَنْہُمَا narrates that the Beloved and Blessed Messenger صَلَّی اللہُ تَعَالٰی عَلَیْہِ وَاٰلِہٖ وَسَلَّمَ said: When someone sneezes and says, “الحمد للہ”, the angels say, “رب العٰلمین” and if he says, “الحمد للہ رب العٰلمین”, the angels say “یرحمک اللہ” i.e. May Almighty Allah have mercy on you!
3. It is a Sunnah to say “الحمد للہ” after sneezing. Saying “الحمد للہ رب العٰلمین” is more preferable. It is Wajib (compulsory) for the listener to instantly reply with “یرحمک اللہ” (May Allah have mercy on you!) and he must say it in a way that it can be heard by the sneezer.
4. Upon hearing the reply, the sneezer should say, “یغفر اللہ لنا ولکم” (May Allah grant forgiveness to you and me!) or he may say, “یھدیکم اللہ ویصلح بالکم” (May Allah guide you and reform you!) as well.
5. The sneezer should utter the words of Hamd “الحمد للہ” loudly so that someone hears it and replies to it. This way, they will both be able to earn the reward.
6. Replying to a sneeze is compulsory only once. If the person sneezes again and says “الحمد للہ”, replying to it again is not compulsory, but it is Mustahab (desirable). Sayyiduna Iyas bin Salamah رَضِیَ اللہُ تَعَالٰی عَنْہُمَا narrates from his father that:
عَطَسَ رَجُلٌ عِنْدَ رَسُولِ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم وَأَنَا شَاهِدٌ فَقَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم " يَرْحَمُكَ اللَّهُ " ثُمَّ عَطَسَ الثَّانِيَةَ وَالثَّالِثَةَ فَقَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم هَذَا رَجُلٌ مَزْكُومٌ
“A man sneezed in the presence of the Messenger of Allah صَلَّی اللہُ تَعَالٰی عَلَیْہِ وَاٰلِہٖ وَسَلَّمَ while I was present, so the Messenger of Allah صَلَّی اللہُ تَعَالٰی عَلَیْہِ وَاٰلِہٖ وَسَلَّمَ said: یرحمک اللہ (May Allah have mercy on you!). Then he sneezed a second and third time. So the Messenger of Allah صَلَّی اللہُ تَعَالٰی عَلَیْہِ وَاٰلِہٖ وَسَلَّمَ said: This man is suffering from a cold.”
7. Replying will be compulsory only in the case that the sneezer says “الحمدللہ”and if he does not pronounce Hamd, then replying is not compulsory. Sayyiduna Abu Musa رَضِیَ اللہُ تَعَالٰی عَنْہُ states that I heard the Holy Prophet صَلَّی اللہُ تَعَالٰی عَلَیْہِ وَاٰلِہٖ وَسَلَّمَ as saying:
إِذَا عَطَسَ أَحَدُكُمْ فَحَمِدَ اللَّهَ فَشَمِّتُوهُ فَإِنْ لَمْ يَحْمَدِ اللَّهَ فَلاَ تُشَمِّتُوهُ
“When one of you sneezes and says “الحمد للہ”, then say “یرحمک اللہ” to him and if he does not say “الحمد للہ” then do not say “یرحمک اللہ” either.”
8. A man should reply loudly to the sneeze of an elderly woman whereas he should respond under his breath to the sneeze of a young woman. (However, it must be uttered in a way that he himself hears it.)
9. Reply still has to be made if the sneezer is behind a wall.
10. If a number of people are gathered and some of them replied to the sneeze, it will suffice the others but it is preferable that all of them reply.
11. If you sneeze during Salah, do not say “الحمد للہ”.
12. If you are offering Salah and someone sneezes, if you respond to it, your Salah will become invalid, as replying to the sneezer nullifies Salah.
13. If a non-believer sneezes and says “الحمد للہ”, the reply should be made in the following words: “یھدیک اللہ” (May Allah guide you to the right path!).
May Almighty Allah عزوجل enable us to follow and act upon the above-mentioned Sunan and manners of sneezing!