Life of Prophet Muhammad, an Example of all Time
January 13,2018 - Published 2 years ago
The question, “To whom I should follow for a better life in this world?” arises in most of us at any stage of our life. Every one of us needs a perfect example to follow who may have great leadership qualities. Someone may imagine a personality in his mind and start following that personality but there would be a lot of faults in doing so. Our basic need is a real life example having perfect example for the people of all times. This need of an ideal personality and perfect example is verily fulfilled by the life of The Prophet Muhammad صَلَّى اللهُ تَعَالٰى عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم. In the Holy Quran Allah عَزَّ وَجَلَّ mentioned him as a best example to follow:
Indeed for you the following of the Messenger of Allah is the best, for one who has hope in Allah and the Last Day, and remembers Allah in abundance. (21, Ahzaab)
The Holy Prophet صَلَّى اللهُ تَعَالٰى عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم had the ethics which bear the stamp of divine authenticity and He صَلَّى اللهُ تَعَالٰى عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم is a model of perfect conduct and character for all mankind. The life of Prophet Muhammad صَلَّى اللهُ تَعَالٰى عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم is the only example having leadership qualities which is followed by the greatest people of the world.
The holy Quran Karim mentions his great character in these words:
· And certainly, you (O beloved) are on an excellent standard of character.(4,alQalam)
· And We did not send you (O beloved Prophet) but as a mercy for all the worlds. (107, Anbbiaa)
· so forgive them and excuse them; indeed Allah loves the doers of good. ( 13, Almaaidah)
· Indeed there has come to you a Messenger from among yourselves, heavy upon him is your suffering, most concerned is he about your wellbeing, for the Muslims (he is) most kind, most merciful. (128 Al-Tauba)
Not only these words but the whole Quran is describing his character. There are a lot of Ahadith which show the most highest character of the noble Prophet صَلَّى اللهُ تَعَالٰى عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم. Some are here as examples:
· Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet صَلَّى اللهُ تَعَالٰى عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم never criticized any food (presented him), but he would eat it if he liked it; otherwise, he would leave it (without expressing his dislike).
· Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah's Messenger صَلَّى اللهُ تَعَالٰى عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم said, "I have been sent (as an Apostle) in the best of all the generations of Adam's offspring since their Creation."
· Narrated `Abdullah bin `Amr: The Prophet صَلَّى اللهُ تَعَالٰى عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم never used bad language neither a "Fahish nor a Mutafahish. He used to say "The best amongst you are those who have the best manners and character."
· Narrated Abu Sa`id Al-Khudri: The Prophet صَلَّى اللهُ تَعَالٰى عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم was modest than a veiled virgin girl.
· Narrated `Aisha: Whenever Allah's Messenger صَلَّى اللهُ تَعَالٰى عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم was given the choice of one of two matters, he would choose the easier of the two, as long as it was not sinful to do so, but if it was sinful to do so, he would not approach it. Allah's Messenger صَلَّى اللهُ تَعَالٰى عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم never took revenge (over anybody) for his own sake but (he did) only when Allah's Legal Bindings were outraged in which case he would take revenge for Allah's Sake.
· It was narrated from Ibn 'Abbas that: The Prophet said: "The best of you is the one who is best to his wife, and I am the best of you to my wives."
· Narrated Jabir: Never was the Prophet صَلَّى اللهُ تَعَالٰى عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم asked for a thing to be given for which his answer was 'no'.
· Narrated Anas: The Prophet صَلَّى اللهُ تَعَالٰى عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم was the best among the people (both in shape and character) and was the most generous of them, and was the bravest of them. Once, during the night, the people of Medina got afraid (of a sound). So the people went towards that sound, but the Prophet صَلَّى اللهُ تَعَالٰى عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم having gone to that sound before them, met them while he was saying, "Don't be afraid, don't be afraid." (At that time) he was riding a horse belonging to Abu Talha and it was naked without a saddle, and he was carrying a sword slung at his neck. The Prophet صَلَّى اللهُ تَعَالٰى عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم said "I found it (the horse) like a sea, or, it is the sea indeed."
He had a soft speaking personality and was very polite to everyone therefore whoever came in his company and spoke him started loving and respecting him. All the traits found in his personality were so much perfect and ideal for others. He was tolerant, forbearing, and truthful along with his quality of fine understanding of people and their affairs. He صَلَّى اللهُ تَعَالٰى عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم had a balanced personality and He was a noble example of human greatness. He صَلَّى اللهُ تَعَالٰى عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم was kind and understanding, truthful and trustworthy. Due to his peace loving quality He صَلَّى اللهُ تَعَالٰى عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم used to avoid quarrels, never quibbled over anything and He صَلَّى اللهُ تَعَالٰى عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم never used abusive or foul language for anybody. He صَلَّى اللهُ تَعَالٰى عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم was most trustworthy among the people therefore people were not hesitated by keeping their valuables to him and gave the title of “ameen” to him due to his qualities like faultless custodian, unfailing trustee. He صَلَّى اللهُ تَعَالٰى عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم was outshining in nobility, gentility, eminence and wisdom.
After reading these great and blessed manners we can understand how great example was the life of Rasool of Allah عَزَّ وَجَلَّ for the mankind of all times. May Allah عَزَّ وَجَلَّ enable us to follow the blessed Sunnah of the beloved Rasool صَلَّى اللهُ تَعَالٰى عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم!