Book Name:Seerat e Data Ali Hajveri
Madani pearls about drinking of water
1. Two blessed sayings of Mustafa صَلَّى اللهُ تَعَالٰى عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم:
a. Do not drink (water) all at once like a camel does, rather drink in two or three sips (while breathing). Recite بِسۡـمِ اللّٰهِ before you drink and say اَلۡحَمۡدُ لِلّٰهِ when you finish. (Sunan-ut-Tirmizi, vol. 3, pp. 352, Hadees 1892)
b. The Holy Prophet صَلَّى اللهُ تَعَالٰى عَلَيْهِ وَاٰلِهٖ وَسَلَّم has forbidden us to breathe into the vessel or to blow into it.
(Sunan Abi Dawood, vol. 3, pp. 474, Hadees 3728)
The renowned commentator of the Holy Quran, Hakim-ul-Ummat Mufti Ahmad Yar Khan عَـلَيْهِ رَحْـمَةُ الْـحَـنَّان has said in his commentary of this Hadees: To breathe into the vessel is an act of animals. Furthermore, the breathe, sometimes, may be poisonous therefore one should breathe moving the mouth away from the utensil (i.e. to take the mouth away from the glass while breathing). Do not cool hot milk by blowing it, wait for some time, and drink it when it is a bit cool. (Mirat, vol. 6, pp. 77) But there is no harm to blow by reciting any verse of the Quran or Salat-‘Alan-Nabi etc. with the intention of cure.
2. Recite بِسۡـمِ اللّٰهِ before drinking.
3. Drink water in small sips, large sips causes damage to the liver.
4. Drink water in three breathes.
5. Drink water with the right hand whilst sitting.
6. Look into the utensil before drinking that nothing harmful is in it.
(Ithaf-us-Sadah liz-Zabeedi, vol. 5, pp. 594)
7. Recite اَلۡحَمۡدُ لِلّٰهِ after drinking.
8. Leftover clean water of a Muslim should not be thrown away.